What started as the small vision of developer Edwin K. Alsip and
the Oak Park Association, grew into Sacramento’s first
Beginning in 1887, with an initial division of 56 whole or
partial lots, Oak Park gained a reputation as a community build
by hard-working citizens.
In the early 1900’s, most residents had blue collar jobs working
for the railroads, state fair, canneries and the highway
commission. During this time most residents were White, with
scattered Blacks and Mexican Americans.