SHPS Homeless Education

Children experiencing homelessness have a right to:
  • Consistently attend school no matter where they stay at night (shelter, motel, car, temporarily with family/friends)
  • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which they are eligible
  • Continue to attend the same school upon moving away from the school’s attendance area or school district
  • Receive transportation from where they are currently staying back to the school of origin
  • Enroll in local school where they are staying without a permanent residence or proof of residency
  • Immediately attend school while the school obtains records (immunization record, cumulative records, special education documents)
  • Automatically receive free/reduced price lunches and other services of the food program without an application
You can enroll in school even if you have: 
  • Uncertain housing 
  • A temporary address 
  • No permanent physical address 
You are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinneyVento Act and California state law if you live: 
  • In a house or apartment with more than one family due to loss of housing or economic hardship 
  • With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth 
  • In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat) 
  • In a shelter (family, domestic violence, or youth shelter or transitional living program) 
  • In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing 
  • In an abandoned building, in a car, at a campground, or on the streets
If you are experiencing homelessness, contact your school’s homeless liaison:
Elisha Ferguson Parsons (
Sac High

Alexis Ribeiro (